My current Lenovo Yoga C930-13IKB (bought Nov 13, 2018 for €1900) is beginning to age. Its processor is starting to struggle when I am using VMs.
So, I ordered a new laptop. A Dell XPS (€2900) this time, with:
- 15" screen
- 12th gen Intel i9 CPU
- 32GB RAM
- 1TB hard-disk
- Windows 11 Pro (if Dell bloated the OS too much, I may replace it with a stock Windows)
As usual I intend to start using it with the OS it came with, plus some of may favorite apps:
- System management:
- Chrome for Google tools (mainly GMail, Drive and Docs) and general browsing. I choose Chrome, because it supports using multiple Google accounts (business and private, in my case).
- Emacs for Org-mode (mainly)
- Whatsapp client
- Gimp image manipulation
- IrfanView graphic viewer
- VS Code for editing
- Edge as dev browser (I currently use Firefox for its superior dev tools, but I will give Edge a try)
- Git for version management and bash
- Docker containers
- I considered WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) with Debian, but will initially go with cygwin because it lets me compile C for Windows and because I had problems with sharing files between Windows and WSL in the past
- Programming environments Python / pipenv and node.js / yarn (probably straight in Windows and not through cygwin)
My new laptop is due mid June.