I have been looking for a platform to blog. It should support...
- feeds (RSS or Atom) and
On the technical side, I want it to...
- be open source,
- allow me to edit the posts locally in any editor I please (which requires flat-file input),
- support Org-mode input,
- maintain version history of the content,
- deploy to Github Pages (which requires output a site without backend),
- be as free of tracking, ads or vendor lock-in as possible.
I have looked into e.g. Nikola, org-publish, Jekyll and the likes, but never really liked one.
So now I have decided to see if I can start one from scratch, based on Gatsby:
- I started off with this excellent tutorial.
- I added a Github pages publish workflow (inspired by gatsby-starter-olga). I also needed to create a personal access token and store it as a secret.
- I added comments, using utteranc.es through react-utterances.
- I added tags, archive and pinned pages myself.
- I added RSS feeds using gatsby-plugin-feed.
Based on the Gatsby page about adding search it seems you need some backend for search. As I don't want a backend, the blog will not have a search feature for now.
Update Feb 2, 2020: I migrated to org mode.
Feel free to check Github for all the gory details.